We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Transitive Sonnet


This is a sonnet form created by Larry Eberhart, aka Lawrencealot
which has its roots the non-sonnet form Monometric.

It is a chameleon type sonnet, because it CANNOT be identified by looking at its apparent rhyme scheme.

It is Stanzaic with couplets and tercets enveloping a quatrain
Meter is of the poet's choice
Line length is 8 to 13 syllables (accommodating feminine rhyme)
Recommended: Iambic  tetrameter or pentameter
Rhyme scheme: aa bbb cccc bbb aa

The sonnet takes its name from the fact that the second occurrence of rhyme set may have its true rhyme sound changed by the use of any device such as slant rhyme (heart, star or milk, walk),assonance, consonance,  eye rhyme (date, temperate), or heteronyms.

Note: such rhymes may be used anytime or never.   Transition is NOT required, only ALLOWED.

Example Poem


Child

I'm saving treasures in a dresser drawer:
a diaper pin, the little shoes you wore
with jingles in the laces, a barrette
still clasping strands of wispy hair. They whet
my hankering for things I can't forget.

Before our paths converged, I held a view
of easy, unobstructed passage through
the challenges of motherhood. I knew
exactly what to do at twenty-two.

But that was long before my stumbling feet
were pressed into the coals, the searing heat
of constant battle forcing my retreat.
And though you've plunged my heart into despair
a thousand nights, I can't forget to care.

(c) Mary Sullivan Boren  - March, 2013


Visual Template




No comments:

Post a Comment