We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hybrid Sonnet

I am using this name to indicate the variations between the Italian Sonnet and the English Sonnet as early as the 1600's with the purpose to forestall my inadvertently assigning the name of the form to a current poet who should use it.

C. Hybrid Sonnet
1. Rhyme Scheme: abba abba cdcd ee
[other variations: abab cdcd efgefg or
abab cdcd efefef or abba cddc effe gg]
2. Who Used: Sidney, Donne




Read Conrad's "Heart of Darkness",

Example Poem


Holy Sonnet # 1 by John Donne

Thou hast made me, and shall Thy work decay?
Repair me now, for now mine end doth haste;
I run to death, and Death meets me as fast,
And all my pleasures are like yesterday.
I dare not move my dim eyes any way;
Despair behind, and Death before doth cast
Such terror, and my feeble flesh doth waste
By sin in it, which it towards hell doth weigh.
Only Thou art above, and when towards Thee
By Thy leave I can look, I rise again;
But our old subtle foe so tempteth me,
That not one hour myself I can sustain.
Thy grace may wing me to prevent his art
And thou like adamant draw mine iron heart.



The Holy Sonnets, also known as the Divine Meditations or Divine Sonnets, are a series of nineteen poems. Twelve of them were published in the 1633 collectionSongs and Sonnets; others were published in later collections.— Excerpted from Holy Sonnets on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment