We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Weaver's Sonnet 2

This is a sonnet form invented by Tim Weaver, aka Poeticweaver of Allpoetry.

It's only defining characteristic is the Rhyme scheme: abab cdcdefef ee

All normal sonnet options apply, meter and line length at the poet's discretion.

Here is a Visual Template for Iambic Pentameter

Sample Poem


Adam's New Girl

She comes to me from realms beyond our earth, 
a beauty with a mind beyond our own,
intending to assess all mankind's worth. 
Thus, I'm afraid to be with her alone. 
She knows our kind are greedy and unjust, 
as her kind were before our earth was here. 
I'm sure if I succumb to wanton lust 
I'll validate her doubts all bout our sphere. 
"Not so,", she said though I'd not said a word, 
"aggression, greed and hate can all go way, 
but losing human lust would be absurd." 
I'm here as Eve, with kinder DNA. 
I've chosen you, I'm glad you're not deterred, 
Undo my fittings while your lust is stirred." 

© Lawrencealot - October 10, 2013 




I deem this Contempory Steampunk verse
Visual Template


1 comment:

  1. Larry:

    I do not see this as a "New" Sonnet. This is an English Sonnet. If you look at the schematic of an English Sonnet:

    ABAB CDCD EFEF GG

    There is nothing preventing the author from making C rhyme with A or F rhyme with D. The only thing it REQUIRES are that lines with the same letters rhyme. If an author wishes to make the couplet rhyme with the odd numbered lines in the stanza before, it is still an English Sonnet.

    The same could be said of a person who used six words that all rhyme to make a Sestina. That does not make it a new form. It just means the author of the sestina chose monorhyming words. It is still a Sestina. It is a Sestina with a twist, but it is not a "New" form in my estimation. It is just a Sestina with a monorhyme and this one you are posting is an English Sonnet with a throwback rhyme in the couplet. Otherwise we would have to call:

    ABAB CDCD EFEF AA
    ABAB CDCD EFEF BB
    ABAB CDCD EFEF CC
    ABAB CDCD EFEF DD
    ABAB CDCD EFEF FF

    each a different form. Yet, they are all qualified to be English Sonnets. So I do not see the need for a new form here. Some of the others have much more merit.

    ReplyDelete