We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Balanced Sonnet

Stanzaic:             2 septets (seven-line stanzas)
Meter:                  Iambic pentameter
Volta                    Not specified.
Rhyme Scheme:  ababcbc ededfef

Primary Sources -

Balanced sonnet/California rhyme scheme
Barbara Dilworth has devised a form she calls the balanced sonnet, or the California rhyming scheme. The rhyming scheme is ababcbc dedefef. This splits the 14 lines up into two 7-line sections, each with the same rhyming scheme. A purist would say that ... this wasn't a proper sonnet, because it doesn't have the obligatory 8/6 split.


My thanks to Bob Newman at Volecentral for this information, his site is a wonderful resource.

  • The Balanced Sonnet is noted as not a sonnet because it doesn't use the octave-sestet sonnet pattern but then technically neither does theShakespearean sonnet. So as long as the poem sings in 14 lines with a pivot or turn somewhere within, I think one could call it a sonnet. This form was created by Barbara Dilworth.

    The Balanced Sonnet is:
rhymed, rhyme scheme ababcbc dedefdf.
  • no placement of pivot prescribed.





My thanks to Judi Van Gorder at Poetry Magnus, another wonderful resource.

Example Poem


Not to Be Relinquished     (Balanced Sonnet)

Since every guy was asking you to dance,
including jocks and handsome wealthy guys,
I never thought that I would stand a chance
to hold you close and gaze into your eyes.
Your image captivates me through the day
and often I may think of you with sighs,
remembering you face and gentle sway.

You are so kind to everyone you meet
that peacefulness is anywhere you stand.
Compelled, I wandered near your vacant seat;
as you approached I just held out my hand
and mumbled "Hi!", before the last note struck;
Your acquiescence made the day complete,
You stayed with me, those guys were out of luck.

© Lawrencealot - November 7, 2013

Visual Template




No comments:

Post a Comment