We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Curtailed Quantrelle

A further development of (D.D. Michaels)  Quaintrelle form by Marcy Jarvis, aka ea on Allpoetry.com

it is a sonnet written as follows:
* Three four-line stanzas with syllable counts of 8, 8, 8, 6 in each stanza, written in iambic meter.
* The third line in each stanza contains internal rhymes on the 4th and 8th syllables in that line.
* The rhyme scheme for the first two stanzas is aa(bb)c dd(ee)c. 
* The rhyme scheme for the third stanza is ff(gg)h. (Alternatively, the h line may rhyme with the c lines.)
* The final two lines have 8 syllables each, are in iambic meter, and rhyme as a couplet: ii.

Example Poem

Volta Optional     (Curtailed Quaintrelle)

What twisted thinking must I use 
to try this form yet not abuse 
the notion held that sonnets meld 
a volta, or a twist? 

I boldly pound this keyboard now, 
I think I've found the lee just how 
allowing me, somehow the glee 
I'm apt not to resist! 

I'll let this sonnet, as it should, 
meander through here looking good, 
then without fail, right here, curtail 
a volta!  Pound my fist! 

The Nevada Sonnet: is the same. 
Internal rhyme with sonnet name. 

© Lawrencealot - April 23, 2012

Visual Template


No comments:

Post a Comment