We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Sonnet Anapest

Sonnet Anapest is a sonnet form created by Lawrence Eberhart, aka Lawrencealot on AP.  It will be listed here as a  gadget sonnet as it lies outside the parameters of the standard sonnet

It is a quatorzain written the rhyme pattern of an English Sonnet.
The defining character is that lines alternate between anapestic tetrameter and anapestic trimeter with feminine rhyme.

Example Poem

Puddles       (Sonnet Anapest)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Vivian Greene
















When the rainstorm brought puddles and pools to our street
and most huddled in side, warm and wary,
the prospect of some splashing invited my feet
and so nothing about it was scary.

I was bundled in rain gear, galoshes and hat
and was thrilled with the wetness and splashing
and the water went flying when my boots went splat!
Then the lightning and thunder came crashing.

When my mom called me in I complied, you can bet
(in a hurry) for fright was controlling.
But my mommy had cookies and cocoa all set
so the rainy day's joys kept on rolling.

I was trained to be happy and happy I've stayed.
Just arrange the board pieces the fates have displayed.

© Lawrencalot - April 4, 2014

Visual Template


1 comment:

  1. I love this - both the form and your poem. I was thinking about sonnets just now, and this is a nice new take on it. The visual template is Very Helpful in reminding me what anapest and feminine rhyme mean - oh, been away too long. *hug*

    ReplyDelete