We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mabini Sonnet


Apolinario Mabini y Maranan (July 23, 1864 — May 13, 1903) was a Filipino political philosopher and revolutionary who wrote a constitutional plan for the First Philippine Republic, and served as its first prime minister until May 1899.

Quatorzain - Generally Iambic Pentameter
Volta at or following line 9
Octet + Sestet
Rhyme scheme: abbaccaa ddaeea
This is a form invented by Jose Rizal M. Reyes of the Philippines


Example Poem:

All in the Family  (Mabini Sonnet)

I love you dearly, I will make things right.
Just hold that premise near your heart my dear
My callow acts are bound to disappear
as stumbling I learn; I am most contrite.
Yet certainly we can't avoid sorrow
by tracing footsteps into tomorrow.
Ignoring your dad's not too subtle sleight
will quell the arguments which such incite.

He calls me Ivory 'cus I'm not black
and Avery's my name; so cut him slack.
My dad thought interracial was alright.
Your dad will too when our first child is born.
The fringe of bigotry will then be shorn.
It happens.  Then the Grandpa's see the light.

© Lawrencealot - October, 24,2012





Visual Template:




No comments:

Post a Comment