We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Spenserian Sonnet


A variation the English form is the Spenserian sonnet,
named after Edmund Spenser (c.1552–1599) in which the rhyme scheme is,
abab, bcbc, cdcd, ee
In a Spenserian sonnet there does not appear to be a requirement that the
initial octave set up a problem that the closing sestet answers, as is the
case with a Petrarchan sonnet.
Instead, the form is treated as three quatrains connected by the
interlocking rhyme scheme and followed by a couplet.
The linked rhymes of his quatrains suggest the linked rhymes of such
Italian forms as terza rima.


Poem Example:

Tell Me of Your Anger in Whispers (Spenserian Sonnet)

Should you be moved to speak in anger dear
I ask that first you test your words alone.
You'll want to be assured your meaning's clear.
Sometimes context will change with spoken tone.

If anger stems from blunders of my own
There's nothing risked delaying words that grate.
I'll be contrite as in the past I've shown
so wait, my love for anger to abate.

In calmness we can set the record straight
I think harsh words will simply disappear
when dulcet tones from you do emanate.
Your goal will be achieved I think, my dear.

My love, use whispers closely late tonight.
I love you, honey; I will make it right.

(c) Lawrencealot - March, 2012



Visual Template:



No comments:

Post a Comment